How do other working parents, with very active children, set priorities? I feel like it is a constant struggle. My husband and I make a conscious effort to make our children our top priority but what parent doesn't? What I am really asking is how do you juggle that priority while maintaining your own identity? We are constantly on the run, going from one activity to another, which our children love -- as do I! But there is also a long long list of things I want to do for myself, and that does NOT include the grocery shopping and cleaning. I am talking about wanting to learn more about photography, scrapbooking all of my photos, reading that stack of books that are collecting dust on my beside table, trying some new recipes, etc. Each day I start with the best of intentions. My goal after a long day at work is to head home, spend some quality time with the kids (ask about their camp day, play, ignore the pile of dirty dishes in the sink....), and find some time for "MY" things but when I find the time for "MY" things, I am just too tired. So in the end, I do very little of "MY" things. --- My husband may disagree with that last statement. I do scrap ALOT but never as much as I would like.
Do I just accept that "MY" things will need to wait until my kids are a bit older? I don't think I should need to. I think my kids should see that I am more than just their mom --- that I have interests outside of car pool, packing lunches, and kissing boo-boos.
I am going to set a goal for July. I am going to get my children involved in "MY" things. They periodically come in and do arts and crafts with me while I scrap but I think we need to do more of "MY" things together. I am going to set aside an hour each weekend to take my daughter with me while I test out new Photo techniques...she has a camera as well, she can play along. Who knows, it could turn out that she is a better photographer than I'll ever be! I am going to sit and read wtih my son. He reads most nights before bed but now with camp, he is exhausted come reading time and has skipped many a night. He and I will sit for a half an hour and read together. We can then sit and talk about what we liked about our books. My littlest one and I can test a new recipe each weekend. I love to bake in particular and what little girl doesn't like to help "lick the spoon" -- as well as crack some eggs and run the mixer?
These are my priorities and goals.......wish me luck!
3 comments:
From what I know, you do a LOT of MY things :) coz we are kinda in the same boat. :)
I have that struggle, too. I spend my whole day on B's stuff, and then when MJ comes home I want to spend time with him. There is no time for MY things (which is running and decluttering the house at the moment). I guess it's every parent's struggle, but when you have no time for you, it gets pretty personal, huh?
now, lets see how the children feel about all this! I bet they will love disguising your time as together time!
Post a Comment