Tuesday, August 23, 2011

5.9 Earthquake

I have a new appreciation for folks living in earthquake prone areas. I had never felt an earthquake until today and I would never like to feel another. I was sitting at my desk on the 8th floor of my office building in Philadelphia when everything started to shake. A colleague immediately screamed to get out of the building. I grabbed my things and ran. Maybe it was all unnecessary but 9/11 is never too far from our minds....eight flights of stairs in heels with not a thought to the work I was leaving behind. I got out of the building as fast as I could. Even with news that it was an earthquake and not a bomb or anything more, I still stood outside and waited. Calls were impossible get through to anyone and emails and texts were slow at best. Word was received that all trains had stopped running and some airports had temporarily closed. I was able to get home safely and in a timely manner thanks to the kindness of others. Kids were safe and barely even noticed the tremor. I, on the other hand, will never forget it.

Crazy!

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I guess it was felt up here in Ontario where I live but I didn't feel it. The only other one I felt I thought a truck had hit my office building..I am the only one of the first floor so no worries for me.
Glad you are okay.